<VV> First-timer with Directional switch question

Yellow Vair corvair65@comcast.net
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:23:22 -0700

Greetings everyone - I bought a '65 Monza convertible about a month ago, and
I've been lurking for a few weeks, learning about my 'new' car.  I use it as
a sort-of-daily driver, and other than a long list of little things to fix
and improve, it runs good and it's a fun car.

My main question should have a simple solution, but I was pulling my hair
out last night trying to figure it out.  The directional signal canceling
plate (the thing that the blinker lever attaches to) is busted on my car, so
I ordered a new one.  In order to replace it, I need to take off the whole
directional switch.  I was able to pull off the steering wheel and all
associated pieces no problem, but when I got to the direction switch unit, I
can't figure out how the heck to get it off the shaft.  There appears to be
a bearing on the steering shaft that is preventing the switch from coming
off, but I can't get either to budge.  Is the bearing supposed to stay there
and is the switch supposed to slide over it? Is there a secret twist to
getting these pieces apart?  Am I just being too gentle with a piece that
looks like it's been there for 39 years?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, plus thanks for
all of the other info that's been on the group over the past month.

-Dave (in Los Angeles)