<VV> non-battery powered Auto-darkening Helmets

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 16:55:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2004 7:33:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
sshepard3@earthlink.net writes:

The  auto-darking seems to
work well and it is more convenient than my multi  hundred dollar Jackson
helmet. It is solar powered so you don't have a  battery or an on/off switch.

Just a note about the "solar" powered darkeners. Of course, during
operation, the power to darken the unit is provided by the light from the weld.  But
say you you let the helmet sit in a bag for a few months, say while you are
working on paint stuff or engine assembly, then need to weld up something? I
suggest you take the unit out of the storage bag and let the panel side sit  in
direct sunlight for a couple of hours. If you don't do that, the internal
barttery may have run down during storage and will be UNABLE to darken and save
your eyes! The sunlight will re-charge the battery enough to react the first
time and the arc will provide enough to keep it fully operational. I learned
this first hand! (That first hand was a palm to the forehead - DOH!) And a
bright TIG-related star for a while. Just plan ahead! - Seth  Emerson