<VV> Brakes grab on first stop of the day

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:26:39 -0400

Shoe contamination is very possible and in my expereince can never really be cleaned... you can stop the issue for a while but it always returns. But this
almost always shows up on hot braking and not cold...

I'll bet you have a sticking wheel cylinder on the _other_ side. If one side stick a bit, you'll overpressurize the other side and it will seem like it's grabbing. My
wife's '67 does this every time I drive it (after it's sat for a week or so). I've learned to give a good solid push on the pedal the first couple of times... even
when sitting still....this seems to break loose the piston and braking is fine the rest of the day.

If you haven't replaced your brake fuild lately, this is a good time to do so as sticking sometimes results from excess moisture in the system.

Bill