<VV> 64 monza questions

John Headley robedinpurple@yahoo.com
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 17:18:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Making progress on my 64 monza convert w/ 110 engine.
Got 2 rebuilt carbs on there Friday and it idles and
runs way better than ever.  Installed a new antenna
and the number of AM stations I can get on my "new"
original radio has doubled! Got some decent drive time
in Friday and today.  As always, I have new questions.

The shifter mechanism (4 speed) seems sloppy and
difficult to get into gear sometimes.  What are the
top hitters for replacement parts to make this feel
right?  The "How to Keep your Corvair Alive" book only
talks about lates with regard to shifters.  Also, what
can I lube up to see if it makes a difference?

I have an exhaust leak.  I think it makes the engine
run a little rougher when it gets fully warm, as it is
pretty smooth up until you've been driving it a while.
 Does this sound reasonable?  Both sides have
manifolds with broken ears, and I think it would
probably be best to replace the manifolds and the
packing at all the joints.  I see Clark's has
reconditioned manifolds that come with the packing and
new studs installed.  Do I need to order anything else
before I attack this job, or will this do?  Any hidden
tricks?

Thanks!

-John Headley
64 monza convert