<VV> NOS Clutch Cable Installed: Problem STILL Not Solved

Greenbrier Goon greenbriergoon@yahoo.com
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 20:29:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone:

Some of you might be aware of my 4 speed conversion from Hell for my 1963 Greenbrier.

Most of this year has been wasted trying to figure out why the van is suffering from a clutch release problem.

Since making the conversion I have:

Removed the drivetrain to replace the new, slightly shorter than factory original T/O bearing with an NOS one of the correct height.

Double checked to make everything is correct (no mismatch of early and late parts).

Lengthend the clutch pedal one inch for greater pull.

And the latest failed attemt at solving the problem was to flush another $160.00 into the project on an NOS clutch cable.

NOTHING HAS WORKED!

Here is what is happening:  The van will start up and shift smoothly into all gears.  Within about 3 minutes of driving it will start crunching into first or reverse and soon become impossible to shift into first or reverse.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I haul this off to the scrapyard?  The only thing I can think might be a problem would be with the input shaft and pilot bearing.  Maybe they are binding for some reason.

I am willing to try one more thing before giving up and getting rid of the whole thing.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm