<VV> NOS Clutch Cable Installed: Problem STILL Not Solved

Ron F Hinz ronh@owt.com
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:52:02 -0700

Let us know where you dump it!
RonH

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greenbrier Goon" <greenbriergoon@yahoo.com>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 8:29 PM
Subject: <VV> NOS Clutch Cable Installed: Problem STILL Not Solved

> Hello everyone:
>
> Some of you might be aware of my 4 speed conversion from Hell for my 1963
Greenbrier.

> Most of this year has been wasted trying to figure out why the van is
suffering from a clutch release problem.

> Since making the conversion I have:
>
> Removed the drivetrain to replace the new, slightly shorter than factory
original T/O bearing with an NOS one of the correct height.

> Double checked to make everything is correct (no mismatch of early and
late parts).

> Lengthend the clutch pedal one inch for greater pull.
>
> And the latest failed attemt at solving the problem was to flush another
$160.00 into the project on an NOS clutch cable.

> NOTHING HAS WORKED!
>
> Here is what is happening:  The van will start up and shift smoothly into
all gears.  Within about 3 minutes of driving it will start crunching into
first or reverse and soon become impossible to shift into first or reverse.

> Does anyone have any other suggestions before I haul this off to the
scrapyard?  The only thing I can think might be a problem would be with the
input shaft and pilot bearing.  Maybe they are binding for some reason.