<VV> Front end shimmy

Mike Kost vairmike@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:41:56 -0500

I have had an occasional front end shimmy for quite some time. I knew
the upper control arm bushings were shot (from trying to do an
alignment) and thought that was the problem. Sometimes when I hit just
the right bump the front wheels start to shimmy violently. When this
happens I have 3 choices, either accelerate to about 60 MPH, come to a
complete stop, or turn. I don't seem to have any play in the steering
and the ball joints seemed pretty tight this weekend when I replaced the
bushings. Replacing the bushings (upper and lower) helped some but I
don't know if that could also be from poor alignment settings. I do have
wide tires (215-60R14) and 14x7 wheels with a slightly wrong offset
which seems to make the problem worse. What I am looking for is
suggestions on where to try next since I can't afford to just throw
money at replacing everything in the front suspension.

Any suggestions for where to look next?

--
Mike Kost
Show-Me Corvair Club