<VV> Front end shimmy

YENBAT@aol.com YENBAT@aol.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:12:45 EDT

In a message dated 10/4/2004 9:51:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
vairmike@sbcglobal.net writes:

I have  had an occasional front end shimmy for quite some time. I knew
the upper  control arm bushings were shot (from trying to do an
alignment) and  thought that was the problem. Sometimes when I hit just
the right bump the  front wheels start to shimmy violently. When this
happens I have 3  choices, either accelerate to about 60 MPH, come to a
complete stop, or  turn. I don't seem to have any play in the steering
and the ball joints  seemed pretty tight this weekend when I replaced the
bushings. Replacing  the bushings (upper and lower) helped some but I
don't know if that could  also be from poor alignment settings. I do have
wide tires (215-60R14) and  14x7 wheels with a slightly wrong offset
which seems to make the problem  worse. What I am looking for is
suggestions on where to try next since I  can't afford to just throw
money at replacing everything in the front  suspension.

Any suggestions for where to look next?

--
Mike  Kost
Show-Me Corvair Club

Check your idler arm...  QUICKLY.

Don't aswk how I know this but you don't want to find out the sane  way.

Tim  Abney

Proud Member of
United  Steelworkers of America, Local 7600

Life Member McHenry County Illinois VietNow
Member American Legion Post #777 - San Bernardino, CA
Member  Society of the First Infantry Division (Big Red One)
KLIK - Lai Khe, RVN -  1967-68
Corsa Member
I.E.C.C.  President
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe - Valley Vairs Cover Car January 2003 - 2nd Edition
1964 Corvair Monza 4 Door - Back burner project
1961 Corvair Lakewood Wagon - Starting  restoration

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of steelworkers%20logo.jpg]