<VV> Why you should read your tech guide

Chris King sea_king65@hotmail.com
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:54:11 -0400

Hi all,

The brakes on the Monza were getting worse and worse and I couldn't figure
out what was going on with them.  Hit upon a note in the tech guide that
said that if you followed the pictures in the shop manual, as I had done,
you could wind up installing one of the brake springs backwards and this
would interfere with the self-adjusting mechanism for the brakes.

So - off come the four drums and, sure enough, three of the four are
backwards (so obviously, I was napping while doing one wheel if I put that
spring in correctly).  To make matters more fun, the lead shoe of the one
wheel that was actually done properly was now completely trashed.  Had I
read the entire brake section of the tech guide BEFORE doing the job, I
would have saved myself a lot of grief and some money, to boot.

Manuals can't help if you don't read 'em....

Chris King (older, wiser, more bitter  ;)  )
Corsa Ontario
'65 Monza 110 that will now stop under its own power.

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN. Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.