<VV> Does anyone have an Early PG in the DFW area that I can test

Ron F Hinz ronh@owt.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:41:37 -0700

My '66 PG is just fine on the highway at 70 and has done many miles that
way.  It's also a delight in town.  Better yet, the engine has never been
out or worked on.  PG is a good way to go.
RonH

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Oxford" <seoxford@att.net>
To: "VirtualVairs" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:44 AM
Subject: <VV> Does anyone have an Early PG in the DFW area that I can test

> "...I'm SERIOUSLY concidering flying to California to buy a restored '63
Monza Convertible with PG.  I've never driven one with the automatic and I'm
not sure if I'd like driving it or not....I'd like to drive one locally...."

> Tom:
> 1) Before trying to find another car to drive, make sure you get some
answers on the '63 that you are considering.  What is the engine?  If a 102,
then I would discourage purchasing the car.  If a 95 or 110, then consider
the purchase.
> 2) Find out what the rear end ratio is.  It should be a 3.55 or 3.89.  If
the car has a 3.27 rear end ratio, you probably will not like driving it
with the automatic.
> 3) Try out a similar automatic on the highway as well as on city streets.
I really like my '63 with a 110/pg in the city but the engine noise gets
pretty tiresome in a hurry on the highway at 70+ mph.
> 4) If you really think you want a 4spd, there are plenty of cars you could
buy - don't buy an automatic just so you can make the conversion - not
extremely difficult but not easy the first time (and, as you already
realize, you'll need a donor car).

> Peruse the CORSA ads, eBay, Autotrader.com, Clarks website, and let VV
know what you are looking for.  I'll bet you can find something within a few
hundred miles of home that will be exactly what you are looking for.