<VV> Re: <VV>test drive?

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:07:35 -0500

My first - useable - Vair was a late convert - PG.  I enjoyed the car...
just had to remember to set the brake EVERY time you parked as there is no P
gear on the Corvairs.

All my current Vairs are 4 spd.  I prefer that.  But, I've got a buddy who
is switching his 4spd Rampside to PG.  There seems to often be an issue with
chattering clutches in the trucks - don't know why.

My advise would be...  if you are unsure of whether or not you are going to
be happy with the PG car, a 30 minute ride may not tell you the whole story
of everyday use.  Wait/look for the car you want which has 4spd.  It will be
there.  Save your $$ in the meantime, so you can get an even nicer one!

I'm always seeing folks changing the drive train from PG to stick AND the
reverse.  Seems like a lot of effort and extra $$ spent when you could just
find the right car with the right trans (for you) in the first place.  Well,
unless you prefer working on them than driving them....  then this gives you
something to do over the winter?

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140