<VV> Does anyone have an Early PG in the DFW area that I can test drive?

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:02:20 EDT

Tom, I'd like to throw in my 5-cents too:  I think you will need to drive the
actual car.  I have driven PG cars that were willing, responsive and a joy to
drive and I've driven PG cars that were piggy and absolutely no fun at all.
The 140 stick cam doesn't have as much bottom end as a 95, but the 140 auto
cam does pretty well.  Who knows what this car's particular combination will run
like?  The axle ratio, tire diameter, carb and distributor all factor in as
well.  One of the two sweetest Corvairs I have ever driven was a pg (stock '67
110/3.27), (the other was (is) a 140 pg engine in front of an early 4-speed
with 3.08 gears.)   The moral of the story is: you have to drive the car.  It
might be super sweet, it might be a dog.  If it really is a car you want and the
restoration is up to snuff, it's relatively trivial to switch it over to a
4-speed - the only icky (techincal term) part on the '63 is the need to cut the
rear suspension subframe for transmission clearance (or switch it to a '64
subframe).
Craig Nicol
65 Corsa 180/4 EO 'Vert
66 Monza 140/4 EFI coupe