<VV> NOS Clutch Cable Installed: Problem STILL Not Solved

Tom Suter tsuter@eisc.org
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:17:31 -0400

Before you change anything, I'd encourage you to measure the actual travel
of the clutch rod as it exits the bellhousing.  When I wrestled with this
same problem years ago, I found that I needed about 7/8" of travel at the
clutch rod to disengage the clutch.  I confirmed this measurement on my LM
vehicles at that time, but cannot recheck my measurements now that they are
stored elsewhere for the winter.  Maybe some of the rest of you can check
your working clutches to confirm my measurement.

With everything still hooked up, have someone push the clutch pedal, and
measure what you are getting at the clutch rod.  Even with the NOS cable,
it will be good to know that you are actually getting sufficient travel to
now eliminate all the mechanical bits upstream of the clutch as the
culprits.  If you're getting sufficient travel at the rod, your problem is
indeed inside the bellhousing, with a good chance of it being a tight pilot
bearing.  It would be a shame to pull the drivetrain, though, only to find
it was still something external.

Tom Suter