<VV> gas tank

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:32:21 -0400

If you are limited on your budget, by all means try and clean the tank,
empty, flush with water, insert piece of chain, or other hvy rust-breaking
items that you will be able to retrieve, and pick it up and shake it all
different ways.  Sometimes the "rust" is a combination of gasoline varnish
coated rust.  Once clean enough-up to you, you want to rinse with water and
then IMHO, with cheap alcohol, leaving it in the sun to evaporate all
moisture.  Repair holes if required and seal inside.

Yes you can have a tank welded-folks who do it know how to do it, but you
will still have to clean the inside or you might have more problems-I think
you certainly will if it rusted a hole in the first place.

Good Luck

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: Landis, Art MR [mailto:arthur.landis@us.army.mil]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 9:52 AM
To: 'virtualvairs@corvair.org'
Subject: <VV> gas tank
I took the fuel
sender unit out for inspection and it's coated with rust.  The tank itself
seems to have some sort of crust-like substance (perhaps rust?) that coats
the entire inside of the tank.  Would you even bother to fool with the
"replacement" tank? I'm very limited on my budget and want to make the best
out of the spare parts I have available before I spend $.  What do you think
about having the original tank welded?  Also the original fuel sender looks
a lot better than the rusty one!  Thanks for your help.