<VV> Fuel odor

Wrsssatty@aol.com Wrsssatty@aol.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:01:44 EDT

I usually defer to others on this list for anything the least bit technical
but this time I may have something to contribute that may help.  For some time
I noticed a gasoline odor in the garage where my Corvair sleeps which I
conveniently blamed on its  Model A Ford stable mate.  However, I was pursuaded to
replace the gas cap on the Corvair and the odor went away.  Apparently the seal
on the inside of the old cap had become a shadow of its former self.  Now,
given that the person posting the original inquiry on this thread seems to
notice his fuel odor only after a drive, this may not be the source of his problem
but it's something to consider.

I purchased my new gas cap from one of our vendors.  It would never occur to
me that a local auto parts store, friendly or otherwise, might have anything
for a Corvair other than oil and paste wax.  Perhaps this is my mistake and I'm
wasting my money but I like supporting our vendors and getting a part that I
know is advertised as correct for my unusual little car.

Bill Stanley