<VV> Bloody & Confused

Frog Princezz media_diva@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings everyone,
The weekend is over and my car still won't start.  But first a commentary.
Didn't get to the car on Saturday as planned but Sunday I hit her with a vengence.  Changed the plugs, I sure would like to meet the guy who thought to put the carberators right in front of the 3 & 4 plugs, I gotta socket I'd like to introduce him to.  Car still won't start.  Tested the battery 12.2 volts, that's good.  Tested the coil to the best of my knowledge 2.2 volts, uh is that right?  Put a little starting fluid in the carbs, still nothing.  And yes, I even turned the key and made sure there's gas in the car. Tried to take off the fuel line to get to the filter and you guessed it twisted it in a knot and broke it.  The fuel pump isn't pumping gas, this I know because after staring at that round thing with a nipple looking top on it, scratching my head for five minutes, thinking what is that... I finally looked in the book til I found a picture that matched it... OH that's the fuel pump. Then I broke the line.  My aunt says I am officially a auto mechanic now because I busted
 up my knuckles and shed a little blood.  Now I truely own that car, it shared it's grease with my and I shared my blood with it.

Now to the questions, I will use some very technical terms here so please bear with me.
I'm not getting a spark and it seems to me that more than 2.2 volts should be coming across the coil.  I hot jumped the coil to the battery as suggested and still nothing.  The is a condenser bolted to the coil band could this have anything to do with the problem and what's that thingy (Thingy is a technical term) do anyway? Is there clean cut way to test to see if the coil is good and how much voltage should be coming out of it?

On the left side of the engine compartment there's a box about 2 x 2 cubed that reads delco remy looks like a transformer to me...what is it and what's it do? And the condenser attached to it?  Is there yet another condenser in the distributor? Of these three condenser with is the ignition condenser?

If the fuel pump isn't pumping gas is it more likely the pump is bad or that there's a clog in the line from the tank?

Well thanks everybody for you're help.  I am learning more about a car than I thought I would ever know... Heck I know where the fuel pump is and the carbs and I am the proud owner of two.
Alesia