<VV> Question for the Gurus!

Jim Houston tampatexan@earthlink.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:20:12 -0400

I am new to Corvairs, so please excuse this if it is a dumb question.  I
have been working to get a '67 Vert running for a friend of mine.  The
car has been sitting for two years (give or take a couple of months)..
anyway, I rebuilt all 4 carbs, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel
tank, replaced all of the flexible hoses,etc...  Today I got it fired up
and it sounded like a thrashing machine!  I shut it off after about 15
seconds... I'm afraid to start it again because it sounds like it
doesn't have any oil pressure (the dash lights work and went out when it
started).   I'm going to hook up a direct reading gauge tomorrow and
verify pressure...  my question is - assuming good oil pressure, how
long should it take for the lifters to pump up?  Should I change the oil
and filter before proceeding?  Maybe some Marvel oil or some other
additive to help Any suggestions and/or hints would be appreciated...

Jim Houston
Brandon, Florida