<VV> 66 Turbo Troubles

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:08:34 EDT

Sam,
       First I'd strongly suggest you make the "big" $20 expense of buying
the Basics Corvair manual from CORSA or many of the Corvair vendors.  In it
there is a chapter on Turbocharging that covers just what you are asking:
"Where's the Boost?".  First off, it recommends that you disconnect the plastic
tubing from the back of your stock (and mostly useless) Corsa manifold vacuum/boost
gauge and hook it temporarily (rubber tubing is fine) to a large so-called
"tune-up gauge" that shows boost pressures to 10 psig with every 1 psi
indicated.  Position the gauge where you can easily see it while driving, or, better
yet, have your passenger provide readings to you.  Now you can see IF you have
ANY boost, HOW MUCH, and WHEN it becomes available.
       Lack of boost is usually caused by relatively small leaks in the
exhaust system UPstream of the turbo.  Also you don't get any boost until the
engine and exhaust system is fully warmed up.  And it takes quite a few seconds at
full throttle for the boost to develop.  Get out on the highway and, safety
permitting, run full throttle up a long steep hill for at least 10 seconds.  If
you still don't get any boost, you definitely have a problem.  Consult the
Basics Manual to follow up on solving this problem.
       Good luck and let us know what you discover.
       Frank "likes turbos" Burkhard