<VV> Tires for Greenbrier

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:55:27 -0400

On Oct 12, 2004, at 10:43 PM, Mikeamauro@aol.com wrote:

> I'm presently running standard passenger car 205-14s.  Won't be that
> many
> more miles until it's time to re-tire (the van, that is). I'm
> seriously thinking
> about going to a multi-ply truck or SUV tire....the reason being to
> gain a
> little more highway-speed stability (due to stiffer side walls).
> Finding a
> high-performance water shedding tire, also meeting the criteria first
> stated, would
> be a plus: my wife drives the van on a daily basis, and I'd like to
> give her
> every safety advantage possible. As the vehicle is equipped with Addco
> anti-sway bars, the clearance room at the front--inside tire wall
> area--is a little
> tight.... Wouldn't want to go much wider. Has anyone out there heard
> of or used
> a true truck tire (8+ ply), or SUV tire on FC vehicle? Safety and
> performance
> counts more than $$$.
> Thanks,
> Mike Mauro

I don't know anything about truck or SUV tires. I buy all my tires from
the Tire Rack. If it were me, I'd call them and discuss it with them.
There may be a good car tire that would work good too. A high-speed
rated all-season tire might be what you're looking for. Be ready to
tell them the exact tire size you're looking for. I doubt that you're
really using an old 205-14. Is it a 205/70-14? This would be a small
diameter tire for an FC; about an inch small. It's getting harder and
harder to find good tires for smaller wheels. The larger your wheel,
the better chance you have of getting a good tire.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC