<VV> Tires for Greenbrier & 2 new Rampsides

Joel McGregor joelsplace@earthling.net
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:18:59 -0500

I've gone through several tire and wheel sizes on my Greenbrier in an
attempt to fix the wandering rear end.  The first thing to check is the toe
in.  I set mine as close to 0 as I can.  You have to back up and pull
forward between each adjustment to get the suspension to settle.  The
biggest help I've found is to use aluminum wheels.  They are much more rigid
than the factory steel wheels.  I have 16x8 Z-28 wheels with 245/50/16s on
mine and the stiffer wheels and short sidewalls make a HUGE difference.  I
used 15x7 Z-28 wheels on my '64 Greenbrier with 215/65/15s and they also
cured the problem.  I tried some steel 15x7 wheels with the same size tires
and they didn't help as much.  The 15x7 Z-28 wheels won't fit on the front
and the 16x8s require some tie rod mods in the front.  The lip on the frame
around the spring pocket has to be ground off in a few places on the rear
for the 16x8s but they fit perfect with about 1/16" clearance between the
tire and the fender lip but they never touch since any suspension movement
pulls the tire away from the fender.
2 new rampys in the family today.  '61 & '62

Joel in Keller, TX (DFW area)
'66 Corsa w/air
'63 Greenbrier 4spd
'63 Greenbrier 8dr 4spd "Bob"