<VV> She's not croaking

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:22:17 -0400

Wow! They speak Italian in Belize? I've never been there, but I think I'd
better go and check for myself.
     Can't tell much from your story. Engine running or not? I guess, not,
because I THINK that's what you mean by "not croaking." Ignition on, or off?
What light is it that doesn't come on? I've been off the list for a week or
so, so if you've gotten it running, I missed the news.
     Are you getting a spark? If not, check your points while rotating the
crankshaft (both hands on the fan belt - takes upper-body strength). Your
points MUST open and close as the cam underneath the points goes around. If
they do, it's likely timing. I think your coil and its voltages are OK. You
might measure 1.53 volts if the points happen to be closed, 6 to 9 if they
are open (check that black-and-yellow wire DISCONNECTED from the coil).
     I know what you mean about stale mate. My first wife called me that
right before our divorce.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Frog Princezz
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 8:25 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> She's not croaking

Hey people it's me again!

First my car now has a name it's "RANA" (Frog in Italian) made official by
my friend in Belize.
  Rana seems to be having electrical difficulties.  I re-tested the battery
it's getting 12.53 volts, the black and yellow wire to the coil is only
putting out 1.53 volts so my coil is only getting 1.53 volts.  Now I'm now
electronic genius but it seems to me that if the battery is producing 12.53V
that wire should be giving off 12.53V to the coil.
  Now I disconnected the the harness at the connector, just in front of the
ignition connector, and tested (with a test light) and some of those were
lighting but some were not.  If I'm not a total doorknob the big red wire is
the positive battery connection in that connector and it should make the
light come on...Well it doesn't!
  Somebody please tell me something that makes sense here and then tell me
how to fix it.  Pa-Leeeee-zzzz.
Alesia
Greasy, Grimy but not defeated just at a stale mate.