<VV> Tires for Greenbrier

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:34:12 -0400

On Oct 14, 2004, at 11:07 PM, Dale Dewald wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> It is interesting to note that most modern minivans are OEM'ed with
> ordinary P-metric non-speed rated passenger car tires.  LT tires are
> reinforced to withstand higher inflation pressures in order to carry
> higher loads--but I don't think they have much advantage with regard
> to stability.  I would suggest looking for a high speed (H, V, W)
> rated tire which is specifically designed for enhanced stability at
> highway (and above) speeds.  Often these are reinforced and rated for
> higher inflation pressures in the interest of stability enhancement
> rather than load carrying capacity.
>
> Case in point:
>
> On our '65 Greenbrier I have Pirelli P-4000 V-rated P215/65R15 tires
> mounted on Corvette 15X6 rally wheels (3-1/2" backspacing).  These are
> the same rev/mile (799) as a P205/75R14 (close to stock 7.00-14 =
> 185/80D14).  These V-rated tires have a maximum inflation pressure of
> 51psi.  I usually run 47 front/50 rear.
>
> Dale Dewald
> Hancock, (UP) MI

Good grief, Dale, 47/50 psi??? Are you running this all the time or
just for economy runs? :) Seriously, doesn't it ride like a truck?
(humor).

The other thing that caught my eye was your reference to tire
diameters. First, let me say, I don't have an FC. I have no experience
in fitting wheels and/or tires on FC's. But I do have information
regarding the original tire sizes of all Corvairs.

Long time VirtualVair readers will remember the "discussions" we've had
in here on original tire diameters for the 13" Corvair sizes. After,
literally years of "discussion" even my staunchest adversary has agreed
that original 7.00-13's were about 25.3" in diameter. This does not
mean that if you buy a modern radial that is that diameter you'll have
an accurate speedometer. This has nothing to do with accurate
speedometers. Corvair speedometers and odometers weren't accurate from
the factory; they still won't be accurate. If you want speedometer
accuracy, that's another issue. What I want to address is simply the
overall diameter of the tires.

6.50-13's that I have a record of were 24.1" to 24.6" in diameter. The
Coker Classic and US Royal 6.50-13 is 24.58" diameter. These seem to be
on the large side of 6.50-13's although the Tire and Rim Association
lists 6.50-13's as 24.7". So we might conclude that 6.50-13's were
about 24.6" for sort of a "par" value.

So, what about the larger 7.00-14's? Well, if 7.00-13's were 25.3", the
7.00-14 would logically be 26.3". But Coker's BFG Silvertown 7.00-14 is
listed as being 26.80" in diameter, a half-inch larger.
Bridgestone/Firestone reported three different 7.00-14's that were
25.9", 26.2", and 26.3" in diameter, supporting the theory that the
7.00-14 ought to be 26.3" But the Tire and Rim Association lists them
as 26.8". How can they list such a large diameter? Because they show
the 7.00-13 as being an 86 aspect ratio tire (remember all the talk
about the Corvair tire being a "low-profile" tire) while the 7.00-14
has an aspect ratio of 90.

There seems to be an even larger variance in diameters with the
7.00-14's than with the 13" sizes, making the determination of a "par"
size even harder. If you believe the 7.00-14 was the same "low-profile"
tire as the 7.00-13, then the 26.3" diameter makes sense and is
supported by the Bridgestone/Firestone tires' diameters. If you feel
that the 7.00-14 was more of a "truck" tire with a higher aspect ratio,
then the 26.8" dimension is probably a good "design" diameter.

In reality, there were tires that seemed to follow both formats. I tend
to think that the standard for 7.00-14's was 26.8", as supported by the
Tire and Rim Assn and the Coker tire. But it looks to me like there
were tires made of a lower profile that were sort of "Corvair tires"
that were more like 26.3", as shown in the three Bridgestone/Firestone
tires.

So, what should be used for a "design" or "par" figure for the 7.00-14
diameter? I'm open to suggestions.

P.S.

Dale, note that the mathematical diameters of a 205/75-14 and a
185/80-14 are 26.11" and 25.65" respectively. A 195/80-14 would be
26.28".

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
CORSA South Carolina