<VV> Seized Engine

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:32:25 EDT

Thanks Larry, Clark, Jim, Geoff, Bill, Geek and all,

I will give your suggestions a shot.  I always assumed that I would need to
rebuild the engine.  Unless you personally know the history of the engine, you
never know why it was pulled out to begin with.  Even if it was a good engine
when removed, I think that it is probably a good idea to get inside unless you
are just using it as a potentially throwaway engine.  With as tightly seized
as this engine is, I wouldn't want to use it without a complete rebuild
especially with the heavy duty that turbos may see.

Even though I will be replacing the pistons and at least reworking the
con-rods, etc., I would still much prefer to take the engine apart as gently as
possible.  The engine appears to have been stored inside as there is no mud,
leaves and such.  Of course, that is still no guarantee.  I still have hopes that
the jugs are not that far gone that I can't still have them bored.  Mostly, I
hope that the crank is good enough that I don't need to have it ground through
the nitrided layer.  We will see.  I am also concerned about the condition of
the turbo assembly.  By the way, I pulled the valve covers and loosened the
rockers in case the valves were stuck.  I also pulled one of the exhaust tubes
when I pulled the manifolds.  Darn, I hate when that happens.

With that said, I will keep everyone posted on the progress.  What I learn
here will be used when I dig into my 1964 Spyder engine.  At least, I have a
spare engine for that one.

Thanks all and keep the suggestions coming.

Doc
'60 Vette; '61 Rampside; '64 Spyder; '65 Greenbrier; '66 Corsa; '67 Nova SS;
'68 Camaro ragtop