<VV> That whistling, buzzing radio..........

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:16:19 -0400

Auto-sound shops sell a device that plugs into the line between your CD
player and your power amp (or your head unit, whichever you've got your CD
player plugged into) called a ground-loop isolator. You will need two of
these, one for each channel. If these don't work, come back with more
information, such as: is your CD player plugged into your head unit? What
kind of head unit (original or aftermarket)? Do you use a line-level audio
connection to the headunit or does your CD player deliver an FM signal that
you tune on your head unit's FM tuner?
     The isolators aren't expensive. Forget the caps in the engine
compartment. These pertain mostly to AM radio reception.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with outboard amplifier, no CD player, and no
ground-loop isolators

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of
the.tysons@comcast.net
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 9:10 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> That whistling, buzzing radio..........

As my never-ending journey continues to complete the interior of my '65
Monza before the snow starts, I have encountered another minor annoyance.  I
installed a CD player, a small power amplifier, and new rear speakers to
replace a 25-year old sound system that was well worn.  During several
recent test drives I noticed a distinct buzzing and whistling sound coming
from the speakers.  The whistle is clearly dependent on engine rpm.  I
understand that there are a couple of condensors in the engine compartment
to suppress radio noise and actually replaced the one on the coil just
recently.  All connections, including grounds, were connected as per
instructions.  Does anyone have suggestions on where I should look to
eliminate these painful noises?

Thanks,
Rick T.