<VV> Question for Engine Mavens

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:48:04 -0700

At 03:31 hours 10/19/2004 -0400, Tareece@aol.com wrote:
>Okey Dokey,
>     I have come across a cache of parts...I have 14...14 SPLIT blocks. My
>question is simple...How the heck do I determine the proper mates?

Divide the earlies from lates.   Locate two halves which look to be of
similar condition and vintage.  Then grab a cam and stick it in the
"suspect" halves.   Bolt the "test" halves together, just snug them tight,
no need to torque them down hard.   Check the cam closely to make sure it
doesn't jam or hang in the bores while snugging up the bolts.  Does the cam
spin easily all the way down to tight or does it lock up before the bolts
tighten?  If the cam won't spin easy all the way, find another crankcase
half and repeat until the cam spins without locking up when crankcase bolts
get snugged.  Then  check the machining on the surfaces atop the halves,
oil pan surfaces as well.   Do they mate flush?    Then check the main
bearing journal bores.   Are there any mismatches?  Check close...    if
the tolerances are off even a smidgen, the cam will hang up.  A matched
pair should allow the cam to spin easy.   Don't forget to smear a little
light oil on the cam journals so it doesn't squeak or chirp in a dry bore.

You might have to go through a few halves but each time you ID a pair,
that's two halves less you have to swim through.

Been there done this.

By the way, even if the halves did NOT leave Tonawanda as a "matched" pair,
if they match up and line up and every bore and surface passes muster
between one another, use them.

tony..