<VV> Resurrection

Stephen Upham contactsmu@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:19:57 -0500

	I drove the '65 Monza again yesterday (second time) on the back
streets near Ken's house after we fixed the oil temperature sensor
(using an after market water temperature sensor) connection that came
loose, put on the a/c pulley that Mike S. sent me (thanks again, Mike)
and reinstalled the cover and handles on the driver's side door.  I
continued to drive it until the gauge reached the 280 degree limit
(about fifteen minutes).
	The PG seems to want to stay in 1st for only the first 800-1000 rpm
(guess here).  Even when I floored it on a straight stretch, the
kickdown never kicked.  It seems quite content to stay in 2nd; slow, so
slow to build up steam.  Are there any adjustments possible to get it
to shift into 1st when I might need it other than reaching for the dash
lever?
	The second thing I noticed was a spongier ride and more body sway in
the corners than what I would like.  The shocks are ok (bounce test),
the springs have spacers in the back (dad's addition), but otherwise,
it is stock.  Ken suggested that increasing the width on the tread
(perhaps 205/60R15 or 215's, I have 185/80R-13's on it now) would have
a positive effect on this.  I was going to do this anyway as I will
eventually put after market mags on it.  I do want to keep the sizes
the same on the front and back in order to rotate the tires every 10K
miles.
	I know that some owners cut a coil from the stock setup.  Just what
does this do other than lowering the car and the center of gravity?
I'm also wondering if changing the shocks for stiffer ones, replacing
the springs in front and back and cutting them as has been suggested
(or taking out the spacers which might have the same effect in back)
and perhaps putting on stiffer stabilizer bars will have a noticeably
positive effect or if I would just be wasting time and money.  Are
stiffer stabilizers even available?  Clark's Crown front and rear
stabilizers #'s C5117 and C5116 appear to no longer be available, and
the '65-9 rear stock version C2308R (don't remember if I have this or
not already. Were they an option only?) are $176.  I want the car to
handle as well as it's design capability will permit.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110, Sierra Tan - Saddle, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, w/ 77K
(NOW out of group red for the first time in twelve years)
Corvairium II

P.S. Bruce, I still have your reply from June (I keep a catalog of
information from the vv) and will seriously entertain your suggestions
et al.