<VV> Resurrection

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:29:15 -0400

Congrats Stephan!

I'll let some PG guy talk about the PG issues...

>	The second thing I noticed was a spongier ride and more body sway in
>the corners than what I would like.  The shocks are ok (bounce test),
>the springs have spacers in the back (dad's addition), but otherwise,
>it is stock.  Ken suggested that increasing the width on the tread
>(perhaps 205/60R15 or 215's, I have 185/80R-13's on it now) would have
>a positive effect on this.  I was going to do this anyway as I will
>eventually put after market mags on it.  I do want to keep the sizes
>the same on the front and back in order to rotate the tires every 10K
>miles.

Not to upset the purists, but a stock Corvair with stock springs and shocks and modern low performance radial tires is going to feel VERY soft and floaty.

Now my wife is not happy with the "hard as a rock" way my Corsa drives (HD spring cut a coil, Carerra shocks set on firm, 50 series tires, fast box) but was
also not happy at all with her soft stock '67 (which drives exactly as you describe). Now I'm a big believer in letting the wonderful Corvair suspension do it's
job while controlling the dynamics.

For me, that means soft(ish) springs, very heavy damping (in both directions) on the shocks, a stock front swaybar on poly bushes, a nylon pitman arm
bushing, and the rear stock except for poly bushes on the inside of the lower strut rods.... and H-rated or better (pref V-rated) tires for their more stable
sidewall. I also dial in a somehwhat "performance" alignment... very little toe and more camber in the rear... close to stock otherwise. I don't like aftermarket
sway bars on anything but a track car as they counteract the IRS suspension (IMO).

So on the wife's car, I left the stock springs alone, added the special Koni shocks from Clarks (set soft in the front, hard in the rear), and uprated the tires
(on stock 14" GM rims) to 205/65VR14's that The Vair Shop sells (cheap!!). I've not even added the poly bits yet (it already had a nylon pitman arm bush)
and yet the car is completely transformed. The ride is "vintage Mercedes" soft but firm, but the body roll and control is MUCH involved. I like it so well that
I'm likely not going to go much further... though it doesn't "handle on rails" like my Corsa does, it's very comfortable on the road for hours at a time.

So, my advice? Get some performance tires and good shocks (don't be tempted to cheap out on the shocks...  I really only like Konis, Carerras, and
Bilsteins). The Carrera provide better control but a lot rougher ride.

Tire sizes? 205/60HR13 (Cheap and will fit on your current rims, but very short)  205/60HR14 (available and cheap), 205/65VR14 (only from The Vair
Shop, very cheap), 215/70HR14 (expensive and difficult to find), 205/60HR/VR/ZR15 (readily available), 215/50xR15 (available but short), 225/50xR15
(might rub in the front, but sure look cool!)

I have an NOS set of 15x6 aluminum Westerns if you decide to go aftermarket....
http://fnader.com/images/CorsaCpe/Westerns.jpg   $300+ shipping.   The wife wanted to stay with GM Mag covers.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD