Turbo Coking - wasRe: <VV> Curious Question - idling

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:47:34 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/04 12:28:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dkdewald@pasty.net writes:
<<SNIP>>
> The only vehicle I idle for any period of time to allow for cooling is my
> Dodge truck with its Cummins diesel engine.  I try to let the exhaust
> temperature gauge (turbocharger) cool below 350F before shutting down so as
> to not cook the oil in the turbocharger bearings.  Usually this ends up
> being less than a minute.

 Dale,
       That's exactly what's recommended in the Turbocharging Chapter in the
Corvair Basics Manual - letting the turbo Corvair engine idle for a few
minutes after a hot run so the oil flow continues through the bearing until the
turbo cools down.  Otherwise you stand a good chance of "coking" the static oil
remaining in the bearing after a premature hot shutdown.
       Frank Burkhard