<VV> Corvair 140 hi RPM No Go

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:35:53 -0700

Hello Gino,
You did not mention anything about the ignition coil or spark plug
wires.  My motto for these is:  If in doubt, SWAP it out!

I would put in a good set of Seth's Silicone Wiring Systems ignition wires
and swap the stock ignition coil, if you still have one, for a good new
higher output ignition coil.  Also check things like distributor cap and
rotor and make sure these are brass and not aluminum contacts.  Get the
ignition system set up so that it is not an issue otherwise it can appear
like a fuel starvation, which you could also be having.  You did not
mention if this high rpm problem was under load or when the car is
stopped.  If it only happens when you are running the engine hard it could
be fuel starvation, as the float bowls running dry.  Several items could
contribute to this:  leaking or ballooned rubber fuel lines, plugged carb
inlet filters, plugged fuel sock in the fuel tank, or leaking valves in the
fuel pump (less likely).

I would attack the ignition system first then look at the fuel delivery
part of your car.

-- Larry