<VV> RE: Car cover / cheap - temporary

HallGrenn@aol.com HallGrenn@aol.com
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:24:06 EDT

Hi all,  I agree that a car cover is not the best way to go, but if you don't
have someplace to store a car then it is better than leaving the car exposed.
 The only "breathable" car cover I've found is made from Tyvek--the house
wrap product from DuPont.  I bought my last ones from Kmart, but you can go
online (just type in "Tyvek") to talk to DuPont.  You might have to look around a
bit because there are so many covers on the market, but the Tyvek covers are
just about perfect.  They are white (cool), tough, light in weight, shed water,
and allow moisture to escape without accumulating.  They are also pretty
cheap.  Mine have lasted a minimum of three years.  I learned the hard way that
cotton and other fabrics that absorb water will leave patterns in the paint and
keep the whole car in a hot house environment until they dry out--they really
promote rust.  I've also learned that you have to tie the cover down in front
of the front wheels, in the middle and behind the rear wheels to keep it on in
the wind.

Bob Hall