<VV> Fuel gauge problem LM

Charles Morgan charliemorgan@comcast.net
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:25:35 -0700

Wayne, if you ground the sender wire, the gauge should read empty, not
full.   Try grounding the tan wire directly at the gauge.  If the gauge
reads correctly (with the ignition on), the wire between the gauge and
sender is open (the open can be in one of the connectors).  If not, the
gauge is bad.  You can test the donor gauge easily.  Ground the case and
apply 12v to the terminal that the blk/ppl wire would go to.  The gauge
should read well past full.  Perform the test again, but ground the
terminal that the tan wire would normally go to.  The gauge should read
empty.  (BTW, if the dash is not grounded well, the gas gauge will act
funny, but so will all the dash lights.)

Charlie Morgan
Beaver State Corvairs