<VV> Re: Cover, garages, etc

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:10:24 +0100

Gary wrote:

> if granted a permit to build his garage, he promised to park them all
> inside. He got the permit!

It doesn't work in England.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1311554,00.html

I know this guy, and used to live 4 miles down the road from him (Rad Davis
came to visit with us when we lived there). Unfortunately (i.e. a few days
ago, and after this article was printed last week) he just lost his court
fight against the local National Park authority (in Britain National Parks
aren't like in the US - they include towns and cities and people live and
work in them - only difference is that they get their lives made a misery by
apparatchiks from the National Park Authority (which is why we don't live in
one any more).

But in England the anti-car busybodies are basically in charge. This guy's
cars weren't visible from the road (we used to go walking there, and the
only way you can see them is if you go about a mile up a footpath, poke your
head through a hedge that you shouldn't be poking it through, and crane your
head and squint).

The cars weren't causing any pollution or (alleged!) global warming (most of
them don't run), and weren't causing any harm of any kind to anyone - but
they STILL managed to upset the local environmentalists, who just can't
leave well alone (they seem to object to the *thought* of evil, polluting
cars just being near to them, even if they can't actually see them - and if
they can't see them, they jolly well try to make sure they CAN see them, so
that they can object to them. Hide something as hard as you like from them,
and they will REALLY WORK to see it, because if they can't see it they can't
object to it!!).

Perhaps those of you in the USA with Green leanings now understand why I
haven't got them myself. 'Green' in the USA doesn't mean the same as 'green'
in the UK. We are where you will be in 10 years' time...

...if you let it happen. You have been warned...

Cheers

Alan