<VV> CHT data calibrate

FrankCB@aol.com FrankCB@aol.com
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:38:33 EDT

        I definitely agree that CHT gauges (or any other temp gauges) need to
be calibrated.  But depending on an oven temperature control seems way too
likely to be inaccurate.  Perhaps you could use the IR gun to measure the actual
temp of the gauge sensor coming out of a 400 to 500 degree oven and then
compare that to the gauge reading.  But remember that you have to hook up the
gauge/sensor combination to a 14.2 volt DC power supply to get a setup that will
be equivalent to the same operation in the running car.
       When I checked the calibration of the Stewart Warner CHT gauge that I
installed in my Monzas, I used gauge unit installed in the car with the sensor
immersed in a silicone oil heated to 350 deg.F.  The sensor was temporarily
attached to a laboratory mercury thermometer and the two were stirred in the
hot oil.  I put on a battery charger set to maintain 14.2 volts on the car's
electrical system (engine was off).  The calibration was dead on at 350 deg.F
which was the middle of the dial on the SW gauge.
       As far as using the IR gun to read directly on the cylinder head I
don't see how you can do this while the engine is under load unless you've got
the car on a chassis dyno.  Sure you can do this at idle speed, but you'll then
be far below full load temp.
       I would recommend instead using one of the 2 methods in my the first 2
paragraphs above.
       Frank "ALL Corvairs need CHT gauges" Burkhard