<VV> CHT data calibrate

Roger Gault r.gault@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:54:21 -0500

So, Frank, you're driving down the road and you look down and your CHT gauge
is reading 327 degrees.  What are you going to do with this information that
couldn't be gotten from "Gee, it's a needle width higher than it was last
week."

This is not to say that I didn't calibrate my VDO gauges in boiling water to
see what the assumed reference junction temperature was, because I did.  I am,
after all, an anal engineer who likes to know useless things.  ;-)

Roger Gault
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: FrankCB@aol.com
  To: SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL ; JVHRoberts@aol.com ; Larry@Forman.net ;
r.gault@sbcglobal.net ; virtualvairs@corvair.org
  Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 1:38 PM
  Subject: Re: <VV> CHT data calibrate

         I definitely agree that CHT gauges (or any other temp gauges) need to
be calibrated.  But depending on an oven temperature control seems way too
likely to be inaccurate.  Perhaps you could use the IR gun to measure the
actual temp of the gauge sensor coming out of a 400 to 500 degree oven and
then compare that to the gauge reading.  But remember that you have to hook up
the gauge/sensor combination to a 14.2 volt DC power supply to get a setup
that will be equivalent to the same operation in the running car.
  <Snip>