<VV> RE: Car cover /portable garages

Mark mblasko@jps.net
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:45:38 -0700

Hi all, I live in Santa Clara CA and cover several cars year round out
doors.  Our temps get well below freezing only a few times each winter, and
we rarely see any snow.  I make sure the covers are as tight on the cars as
reasonably possible.  I leave them on regardless of the weather.  I take
them off when we get a sunny day to dry out the car, as I do get some
condensation inside.  Even if the covers are wet it only takes an hour or so
of sun to dry it out.  I do get some "scuffing" on the paint during high
winds which results in very minor scratches or discoloration.  If your old
cars are like mine this is a small price to pay as a good cover keeps the
car protected from sun damage in the summer and dry in the winter (I don't
think I have a car that doesn't leak even when being washed never mind in a
storm!).

The cover of my choice is now Noah, previously I used Evolution 4.  In
comparing the two I find that the Noah gives me a good two years of very
good protection (ie pull the cover off and the car is clean), and a 3rd year
of decent protection.  From year 2-3 it starts to tear and deteriorate.
Before year 4 it is trashed.

The Evo 4 covers seem to last a little longer, but after about a year they
allow dirt to wash thru the cover during a storm.  Years 2-3 they start to
deteriorate and leave colored "dust" (the same color as the cover) on the
car.  After year 3 they also tear apart.

My covers are all custom fit and I pay about $155 for a Corvair sized Noah
cover and about $125 for a Evo 4.  Since my goal is to protect the cars and
keep them clean the Noah for me is a better deal.  However for our Suburban
the Noah can get a little pricey.......

Now here's my latest trick.  As soon as the covers begin to deteriorate I
buy a new one and "double cover".  I put the new cover on first and the
weathered cover on top.  This is keeping the cars really clean and dry and
even protecting the newer cover.

On the portable garages/car ports I purchased one on those from a Hemmings
advertiser for I believe $299.  The downside is that it came from back east
and cost me $150 to ship to CA.  It is made of 1 1/2" powder coated tubing.
Size is 10' wide x 20' long x 8' high at peak (it is a triangle type peak
not the rounded type).  Once I figured out how to assemble it took about 2
hours with 1+ person.  The directions were not great.  It has a rear panel,
front zippered door, and middle/top section of material.  I got the
"standard" fabric which they said would last up to 10 years.  It is now 1
year old and I doubt it will make it to 4 years.  However, they sell only
the fabric sections, and if you need to replace so I am hoping I can
"repair" it economically.  I am very satisfied with the construction, and it
is about 95% weather-proof so it works well for me.

I wish I had the room to build a 2nd garage, car port, pole barn, or other
car storage facility.  The good news is that with car covers and careful
maintenance in CA we can keep our cars pretty well protected.  Good thing
since property values don't allow most of us to have the space to properly
store several cars.

Mark
'66 Corsa 140 convertible (the only car stored (and covered) in my garage
and worth less than anything else I have!!)
etc
etc