<VV> A/C parts

airvair airvair@richnet.net
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:22:37 -0400

To clear all this up, the '62-5 cars all use a low-mount style of
compressor bracket set, all pretty much similar if not same. It's the
'66-7 bracketry that gets confusing.

In '66 there were two basic styles of bracketry sets, one for the 95-110
engines and one (high-mount) for the 140. The 140 actually had a first
design set and a second design set,  though not all the pieces were changed.

In '67 ALL cars used the high-mount style. However, the compressor
pulley was changed to a two-groove pulley, and this altered the spacing
of the compressor mounting. Hence the bracketry was again changed
slightly to match. (NOTE: If you buy stock a high-mount bracket set, be
careful to make sure ALL the parts match. Mismatched parts can give you
grief with the compressor mounting and might even cause the belt to
periodically come off. Check for belt groove misalignment with the crank
pulley.) These changes were to allow the use of a smog pump on
California cars. For those cars, a special bracket was welded to the
high-mount bracket, and other brackets were also used. The smog pump
then ran off the compressor instead of the crank, with an idler pulley
included.

Consult your GM parts book for illustrations.

Hopefully this makes it as clear as mud. (G)

-Mark (Prez of the Air 'Vair Group for air conditioned Corvairs)