<VV> Corvair mentioned in Classic Car article

Mike Stillwell yenko117@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:27:28 -0700 (PDT)

--- Crawford Rose <crawfordrose@msn.com> wrote:
> I'd like to comment on this thread.  The stated
> problems with Corvairs, "old,
> slow, smelly, cold, hard to start and no one wants
> to work on them" are not
> unfounded.  Because the owner has to do most of the
> maintenance,

 The owner has to , or chooses to? All of us Corvair
Mechs aren't gone yet!

it is
> difficult to show invoices for work performed on the
> car to enhance the value.

 Reciepts from Underground, Clark's, Corvair
Motorsports, Larry's, Cali. Corvairs, etc? That shows
investment in the car, even if the owner completes the
repair.

> Plus, the buyer seeking the discount knows he has to
> do the repairs himself.
> So, the seller is paying the buyer for his trouble
> in taking on the new
> responsibilities.  Its a win-win situation and the
> prices stay low, "except on
> eBay!" ha-ha!

 Not really. It hurts Corvairs, because Labor and
other costs are always on the rise. This is labor
dolalrs spent on repairs through mechanics and that
vendors have to spend to make repro parts. If the cost
of parts/repairs keep rising and the value of the
vehicle doesn't, it becomes harder to justify putting
a ton of money into something worth nothing. Granted
most of us enjoy there cars for what they are, but
there are people that want to buy a car, drive it for
a while, upgrade it and sell it to buy something else.
These people help subsidize those of us who are in it
for the long haul. If Corvairs are worthless forever,
we will lose vendors and parts because there will be
little need for them.

 My opinions of course,

 Mike
 YS-117