<VV> Head musings

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:36:54 -0700

At 04:17 hours 10/29/2004 -0500, cash case wrote:
>I was introduced to a set of heads for a Porsche a few weeks ago. These
>were 930's I believe 911's are similar.
>I know I'll get flamed for this but thats ok.
>These were overhead cam engines weren't they?
>Wouldn't be it possible to  modify a block and move the head studs into
>position to bolt these up and then create/modify an existing crank cam
>belt drive gear from the Porsche to mount on the end of the crank
>shaft.
>
>Ignore the cooling shroud questions for the moment-
>
>This seem dangerously easy to me. Has anyone tried this yet?

Humm...  there's bore spacing problems.  There are camshaft drive problems,
not much room to mount a belt gear on the crank to drive the camshafts.
There's that rotation problem in that the Porsche engine runs in the
opposite direction and existing Porsche cams wouldn't work.  There's the
compression problems in that the Porsche heads are deep and use
hemispherical domed pistons which would  be a bit hard to find for the
Vair.    Actually, this could likely be solved with custom ordered
camshafts which would likely be kinda costly but certainly nothing a decent
cam maker couldn't cook up.   But pistons would be a problem as would that
bore spacing thing.

tony..