<VV> Weight in Trunk

Dennis & Debbie Pleau ddpleau@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 11:08:44 -0500

Steve Goodman has been running a series of articles in the "Denver News"
Octobers article covered just this subject.  The Comminuque should  pick up
and run some of these when space permits.

Dennis

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS.
(curious and unbelievable things that have happened to our favorite car) -
by Steve Goodman
Rocky Mountain CORSA - Denver News - October 2004

The CORVAIR has always been known for having a light steering effort.
Obviously with no heavy engine in the front, there is no need for power
steering.
The problem is that with over-inflated front tires of questionable size and
matching, the car will dance from lane to lane with abandon. Now there are
two ways to fix this: buy quality tires and carefully maintain the proper
pressures and keep the front suspension in good repair and alignment OR put
a bunch of weight into the trunk.

Through the years I have seen cinder blocks, sand bags, sand with no bag,
gravel, cylinder heads from large V8s and my favorite and most astonishing
of all: concrete.  This owner kept mixing up a little concrete and pour it
into the bottom of the trunk and then drive the car. He felt a little more
was needed so MORE went in. When
I saw the car, the trunk was over a foot deep in the bottom and completely
full from side to side. He had read somewhere about adjusting the steering
box and couldn't find the access hole so he brought the car to the shop. He
had covered the access hole with concrete. Also the car needed power
steering at that point, it weighed so much in the front that turning the
wheel was difficult and all the ball joints and wheel bearings were ruined.
Shortly after I looked at the car he hit a bad chuck hole and the trunk
floor fell out and high centered the car. The car went to the wrecking yard.