<VV> Re: Steering Traction control

Mike Kost vairmike@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:39:40 -0500

HallGrenn@aol.com wrote:

> I'll defer to all you folks in the north when it comes to driving on snow,
> but here in Maryland all of my Corvairs have done well with no added weight in
> the trunk--especially in the occasional heavy snow storm accumulations of over
> 15".  When we have had heavy snow fall in the past (15" to 22" officially),
> the Corvairs all did fine.  Only the Jeeps and 4WD SUV's were out there with me.
>  When I used to drive the "beater" '66 Monza to work on snow emergency days
> people would line up to get a ride home with me.
>
> Doesn't the lower ride height with 100 lbs of extra weight cause you to
> "push" more snow?
>
> Bob Hall

I had similar experience while at school in W. Lafayette, IN when we got enough snow they ACTUALLY called off
school. I tried to go up the main street near campus until I got to a drift that was over the hood and my
better judgment caused me to stop and back out (since I was alone with no one to push me out if I got stuck).
As soon as I got out of the way a Jeep full of "frat boys" came flying by determined to get through. The funny
thing was that they didn't get much farther than I did, got stuck and had to push back out. I did get stuck in
our parking lot when I high centered with ice UNDER the snow. F70-14 snow tires and posi helped to move it
through about anything.

Mike Kost