<VV> Traction control

Rick Loving ral1963@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:04:59 -0400

Thanks for the nod Bill, but I learned a little each from all you guys
over the years.  Many thanks go out to you Bill, JR, Dom, Rich Carol,
and others that let me ride with them on the ice and gleam their
experience.  Since I'm out here in NC this year I will be missing the
winter fun.

I've driven a different vair or borrowed car almost every year Ice
racing since I started.

On the snow while on the street the Corvair is almost unstoppable as
many have chimed in with merely the spare and a few other items in the
trunk.  On black ice, glaze ice, or other extremely slick surface
additional weight many be a benefit, just don't over do it.

The only time I have ever been stuck in my vair was while ice racing my
64 coupe.  The lake had been covered by a good snowfall and the course
had to be plowed out.  I was charging a sharp corner with way too much
speed and pushed way off course.  I hit the deep snow so hard that I
pushed a mound up and eventually drove up over it.  The car's belly pan
was sitting on the mound and the rear tires were about an inch off the
ice spinning in the air.

I had to be pulled off of the drift by the AWD water pumper tow car. To
add insult to injury, he bent my bumper yanking me out.

Rick Loving