<VV> Re:Hey don't sell that Vair Part

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:57:52 +0100

> Uh, if we follow the logic of not allowing sales of vair parts (for evil
> means) in the CC, then how can we allow Vair engines in buggies, or Cords,
> or
> kit cars?

And who is to say what 'evil' is? I was flamed in another car club a while
back for 'hoarding' parts - i.e. holding onto them until I need them. It was
pointed out, correctly, that my hoarding them forced the price up and made
them harder for others to obtain (although not as hard as it would have been
for them if I hadn't got them from the junkyard 20 years ago in the first
place!) As I didn't have time to sell them and don't want to junk them, what
was I supposed to do?

So... some people object to hoarding, others object to selling them except
to people who have undergone an extensive vetting process, and others think
(e.g.) that they are wasted if they are used on 'ugly' cars, and should be
saved for 'nice' ones. But what's 'nice'? What's 'nasty'? Is a trailer queen
that never gets used and does 40 miles a year a more deserving recipient of
your rare parts than the ugly Vair which is used in all weathers and gives
its owner real pleasure? I can't say!

All that would happen, however, if we were to try to 'vet' people to see
what they intended to do with the part is that they would tell us lies - I
have known hot rodders gleefully tell how they got an all-original 32 Ford
off a little old lady by saying they were going to look after it and keep it
all original and low miles - and then they ripped the inside out and chopped
it.

While I personally think this borders on the criminal, I really don't see
that there is anything we can do to stop it. Although I agree with the
sentiments of others that the role of the club is not actively to further
the destruction of Corvairs, I don't see how it is feasible or desirable to
monitor who buys parts and what for without bringing in the kind of
unacceptable infringements on our personal liberty that our government is
currently bringing in on us.

Free market 4 ever...

Cheers

Alan