<VV> BMW rims (5/120mm) on a Corvair

JVHRoberts@aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:25:09 EDT

To do it right, you need to do two things:
1. Remachine the holes in the wheels to match the bolt pattern, or remachine
the hubs to match the BMW bolt pattern. The offset is so small, just making
the holes a bit oversize is all you need to do. If it's in the hubs, there are
lots of studs out there with larger shoulders.
2. You'll need to make centering rings. If memory serves, BMW wheels have a
larger bore than Corvair wheels. This is NOT a trivial detail! Otherwise,
you'll wonder why you can never get the wheels to stop shaking. Centering rings are
too easy to make or have made to overlook this.

Most importantly, do NOT just torque down on the nuts do nothing else, and
hope for the best! Deflecting the studs sideways 0.015" will only weaken them,
and centering is essentially impossible.

In a message dated 9/1/2004 5:07:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,