<VV> Differential questions

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:53:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/04 5:35:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LDanko@wi.rr.com
writes:
I want to expose the spider gears so that I can check them out. I can see the
bolts on the carrier and I think I can remove them with a combination wrench.
Once I remove the carrier cover, what kind of surprise am I in for? Is it
difficult to remove the gears once the cover is removed? I don't see a way to
properly torque the bolts back down once I reassemble the carrier.

Larry,
You will have to remove the carrier from the case in order to open it and
check the spider gears.  Just looking at the spider gears won't tell you much
other than if any of the teeth are broken off.  To really check them you need to
remove them and the side gears, take them to a shop that does crankshafts and
have them magniflux them to check for internal cracks.  Refer to the shop
manual or "Corvair Beginners Manual" for disassembly and reassembly.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA