<VV> Polishing wire wheel hubcaps

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:02:40 -0400

Four sheet-metal screws near the center (1/4" hex) let the spinner off, and
half of the spokes. Eight (or more) similar screws let the center "hub" off,
along with the other half of the spokes. Pretty easy to take apart, only
slightly harder to put back together. It LOOKS to me as though it were
DESIGNED for such disassembly from time to time, but appearances can be
deceptive (and disputed, here on VV), so I'll render this view as a
speculation.
     The finish is stainless steel. Use the kind of thing you'd use to
polish a teakettle or pot of this material (kitchen product). The material
doesn't tarnish - it just gets dirty (the spinner and hub are chromed pot
metal, so polish them with chrome polish).
      Confine the use of the dermal tool to actual skin (leather, etc.).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Russ Moorhouse
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 8:52 PM
To: VV
Subject: <VV> Polishing wire wheel hubcaps

Can the wire wheel hubcaps be easily taken apart and reassembled, so the
inner parts can be polished?  Mine are beyond just washing and need to be
polished.  I tried using my dermal tool, but couldn't reach all the area I
needed to.

I'm also open to other suggestions on how to clean them, if you know of any
that work on tarnished hard to reach areas.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member
Kent Island, MD