<VV> Cylinder head torque sequence

David V. Clamp 66corsa@cox.net
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:13:36 -0400

Snip------------------------
I'm about the torque down the heads on the '65 140 engine and I recall
reading somewhere not to use the sequence listed in the service manual but I
can't find any other sequence in the Corsa tech guide or find one using
Google. Can some one point me the right direction?
Unsnip----------------------

David,

Richard Finch recommended a different sequence than the shop manual in his
book "How to Keep Your Corvair Alive". As mentioned by others, you'll need
to torque in at least three stages.

The revised sequence is:

Center Cylinder: Upper left, lower right
Cylinder to the right of center: Upper left, lower right
Cylinder to the left of center: Upper left, lower right
Center Cylinder: Upper right, lower left
Cylinder to the right of center: Upper right, lower left
Cylinder to the left of center: Upper right, lower left

I have used the shop manual sequence with no problems before I read about
this sequence. I have also used the Fitch sequence with no problems as well.
In Bob Helt's book, "The Classic Corvair", he warns against using the
sequence mentioned in the 1969 Shop Manual Supplement.

David V Clamp
Member: Corsa
        Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Newsletter Editor, VP
        Nader's Raiders
	  1966 Corsa convertible 140 +0.030/4spd 3.55 posi w/ AC
	  mailto:66corsa@cox.net