<VV> Cylinder head torque sequence.

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:47:35 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/04 10:10:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
pottsf@msn.com writes:

> There IS a revision in a service bulletin, but in my opinion, the one in
> the
> Shop Manual (which I've used up until recently) is just fine.
>    Both start from the center, but the revised one has you doing the
> bottom row (studs) first, then the top row, instead of criss-crossing as in
> the Manual. Now, that is a sequence for EVERY stage of torquing.

All,
Technically that service bulletin was NOT a revision to the torquing
sequence. That bulletin was to advise the field that the factory may not have
correctly tightened the head down, and advise a revised method for RETORQUING the
heads involved. This is completely different from doing an original torquing. For
some unknown reason this retorquing sequence was picked up and included in the
1969 shop manual.

Use the torquing torquing sequence shown in the 1960, 1961 and 1965 shop
manuals for best results.
Regards,
Bob Helt