<VV> 976 x 2 = Fire and Ice (almost squared)

Louis C. Armer, Jr. carmerjr@mindspring.com
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 01:17:53 -0400

Hey All, Miss Liz thought I was kidding. She should know by now that
I am crazy. Yes it is 976 miles from Chamblee Georgia to Marshalltown
Iowa and for me that meant two days of driving to get there. No I didn't
drive a Corvair or "Buttercup" but took the easy way out and put another
2000 miles + on the 93 Buick Park Avenue ULTRA . How could I resist? Scott
Trunkhill ( Beef #2 ) had already hauled WTBRT #112 out to Iowa on his
new trailer. Scott is originally from Iowa and visits family each summer.
      What really was the icing on the cake was the fact that the SCCA boys
would be on the same track as we raced on Saturday but they would be
there in force on Sunday. Now to add to Tim's report, I will tell you that the
SCCA bunch came from Nebraska and Iowa to race, so many of them traveled
some serious miles to compete. We had some other vintage cars in attendance.
An MGB, SAAB Sonnet, and Triumphs helped to confuse all the young group
and local teenagers who came to watch. It was a hoot to hear some of them
talking about our Corvairs and how those "race cars" were really hauling
because
they had the "turbos" in them cause you could hear the
difference...............
comments about Rob Landers Stinger.............  Actually the mix on Sunday was
a nice variety. The big boys were some strong Ford Mustangs, A Corvette,
MR-2's,
Subaru Turbos, and some fast Miatas. The fastest times were in the 74-75
seconds
so we were not too shabby from 79 to my slow 83.9. Many many other of the 120
drivers didn't even come close to the Corvair times.
       WTBRT #112 ran and handled great and all of our hard work in redoing
the complete
suspension has made a big difference. The next tweak will also help as we
didn't get to
replace the ULTRA rear strut rods since Mr. DeckRug said there was nothing
wrong with
100,000 mile bushings as long as the Previous owners hadn't abused them
!!!<GGG>
#112 is acting just like a real race car. She showed Scott how to lift a
front wheel off
the ground in a spin and reminded me later in the day on Sunday how to 180
on a 15'
wide track and not touch the grass.
        The Iowa experience was well worth the trip and the Host members
were super.
Our Saturday race event was very family oriented and brought out members
and families
from infants to parents and ages to 85. I was warmly welcomed by all and
joined the Prosise
family for supper on Saturday night. I enjoyed seeing the WTBRT Iowa
sponsors, John &
Chris Miller and their family including the new "Monza Jr" addition.
"Goofy" Dunahugh was
his usual incorrigible self. Ken Campbell of V V notoriety and the IOWUH
Chamber of Commerce
was busy selling "Korn". That little go cart track is an absolute ball to
drive and is both challenging
and rewarding. Race Partner Scott's  family showed up in force and gave me
the oppurtunity to meet
his Mom and Dad and one of his sisters and her husband and three children.
You know I might just
do it again.

FrontMan
WTBRT PR