<VV> Blower Bearing

corvairs lonwall@corvairunderground.com
Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:41:20 -0700

Well,.............I must disagree with the assessment that the "stock
design is deficient".  Certainly the 60-64 design uses a much smaller
bearing than the 65-69, but the truth is, so long as you use a quality
bearing in the first place, you should not have to mess with the bearing
for years. This is a prime example of  a part that may perform
flawlessly for 20 years, but upon failure, the owner finds the labor
excessive and therefore blames the whole situation on "poor design".

An exact parallel are the guys who pop up with the suggestion that
Corvair pushrod draintubes should be collapsible like VW's so that
replacing those neoprene O rings would be much quicker - Of course we
all know that the real fix is Viton O rings - not a redesign. Gee whiz
engineering is fun but shouldn't be confused with necessity.

The irony is, if you you go to the double alternator bearing re-design
you will be thankful that bearing replacement is easy - because you'll
be doing it a lot more often, especially if you're not VERY careful what
6302 bearings you purchase. This is because this is an "A" mover bearing
in the rebuilding trade - As a result the market is flooded with VERY
cheap third world imports that are of such pathetic design they don't
belong in anything.

 Lon

www.corvairunderground.com