<VV> California?

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 06:25:30 +0100

> Can't help but see the irony. The state that just about  invented hot
> rods,
> the best possible climate in most of the state to  preserve autos,  And
> the
> most pin headed, destructive to the hobby  laws in the US.

Actually, in my (not inconsiderable) experience of registering cars in the
USA, but from the point of an 'undesirable alien', the nightmare place to
try to do it was New York. I tried to register the first American car I ever
bought in Manhattan, and although I ultimately succeeded it was a TOTAL
nightmare (I nearly got arrested twice, for querying the (incorrect, I now
know!) statements of hatchet-faced apparatchiks at various offices, and took
nearly a week, during the whole of which I had the plateless car parked in a
valet car park @ $40 a day just off Broadway and 53rd, and was unable to
move it).

When I asked my friends there why it was so difficult, the universal
reaction was that I was an idiot, and should have taken the car to NJ to
register it.

I will say, however, that the MV bureaucracy everywhere in the USA ('land of
the free') is WAY worse than the bureaucracy over here - and ours is bad
enough. The worst I have yet experienced, though (out of USA, UK, France and
Italy) is France. Just don't even think about it...

Cheers

Alan